"Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."
The Family: A Proclamation To The World

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mr. Mike update...

Mike is doing very well!  He was transferred out of ICU two days ago to a normal room.  His shunt has been removed and subsequent testing shows there is no pressure building up on his brain.  His gut is fully functioning and he is giving us and all his nurses a hard time with all his teasing--which is a good sign that he's back to normal :).  As far as anyone can tell there was no lasting damage to his brain.

The diagnosis:  So far, the theory is that he has had very high blood pressure for a long time.  (He never goes to a doctor so he would have no idea).  From all the pressure, eventually the delicate vessels surrounding the brain (the sub-arachnoid space) just gave way and leaked blood into that space.  From now on he will be on medication to control his blood pressure and I'm going to try to help him change some of his dietary habits that we all can see don't help his blood pressure out.  He's still under observation, but should be coming home soon!
  Thanks for all your prayers--they worked!  

5 comments:

Taryn said...

Great updates! It does sound like you had some adventures on your way to your new home. Glad you guys made it, and Anne props to you for sleeping in the truck along the way. Glad Mr. Mike is doing so well. We are so happy for you guys!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the update!! You guys had quite the trip...I'm glad you've had some miracles in your life the last few weeks - it sounds like you really needed them.
Good luck with life in Louisiana!

Britt said...

Benji,I came across your blog. Thanks for the updates about your dad. They are much more informative than my mom! We have been praying for your dad. Congratulations on your acceptance into the master's program. Anne, congratulations on being a registered dietitian. By the way, we visited Drew's sister in Denver and all I wanted to do was drive an hour to the Raising Cane's in Fort Collins. We did it, but Drew gave me a lot of crap about it!

Lee said...

Your blog is awesome! It was fun to look through it and see what you guys have been up to. I loved seeing that you're a WICKED fan too. Who wouldn't be I'd like to know? I saw it three times in one year. Top that! It was great seeing you guys before you left- good luck w/ the move, and I'll look forward to seeing how things go for you in Louisanna

Jeff and Teresa Palmer said...

I'm so glad your dad is getting better. It was so fun to see you guys. Hope the move is going smooth. We miss you.