"Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."
The Family: A Proclamation To The World

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Ouch! Stitches for Ruby

Ouch!  This picture makes my heart race and break at the same time.  Today I was in the living room with Lily getting some chores done while Dixie and Lily were playing super well together.  It was all going so well until...Ruby came running down the stairs, quickly grabbed something, and then ran up too quickly and tripped over her princess dress.  I heard a big bonk and then her crying and my heart sank.  I think I kind of knew already what I might find, but was hoping I was wrong.  She really wasn't crying a ton at first, but as I picked her up and saw her gash my heart started racing, and I kind of panicked a little.  I think my reaction made her more nervous, so I calmed down.  My sweet, little Ruby did NOT want to go to the hospital or have me tell ANYONE about what happened.  I don't know if she was scared what might happen or if she thought she'd get in trouble or something, but she just wanted me to hold her and not go anywhere.  Obviously I knew we had to go get stitches.  Uncle Paul suggested going to Primary Children's hospital since he knew she'd be pretty squirmy in his office.  So, I still had to get myself ready, and the other girls.  Then I lined up babysitting for Dixie and Lily at Grammy's and Benji lined up Aunt Jeanne to pick up Carson from school.  Then we were off to Primary Children's...
I was surprised that it wasn't gushing blood.  It would just trickle here and there, thankfully.  

You can see how wide that split was and some of the connective tissue.  Kind of cool and kind of gross. 
She wasn't totally out, but did have a medication that calmed her right down and helped her forget what was going on.  She got to watch Paw Patrol and lay perfectly still. 

There's that smile!!  In the end her stitches were beautiful and smooth, and she loved her slushy from the nurse. 
On the way home she zonked out pretty quickly after using so much energy worrying about her injury.  

We're glad that's behind us and so grateful we were able to get her gash fixed up beautifully!

No comments: