On Saturday (November 1st -- 23 days before she turns 3) I was drying Dixie's hair in my bathroom. To keep her still I let her play games on my phone. I looked down to see her playing a phonics game I hadn't seen before. There were 3 letters, each one on a puzzle piece. You would connect them to make words like "c-a-t", "a-n-t", "b-e-d", and so forth. I noticed as Dixie correctly put each letter in place she would sound out each letter and then sound out the word phonetically! I was amazed! Still, I thought maybe she had played that game and memorized the words. Over the past few days I've quizzed her on random 3-letter words using magnetic letters and she has sounded them out correctly. I also have quizzed her on her Starfall.com game and she sounds them out correctly there too! All I can conclude is that Dixie is one smart kiddo. She watches Carson's preschool as he learns phonics and she plays phonics games on the computer. Aside from teaching her the letter sounds I haven't done a thing. She basically has taught herself to read! I think she is bright when it comes to language, because she was an early talker as well. But it is also a testament to her determination and strong will. When she puts her mind to something, nothing can stop her and she always wants to do everything all by herself. What an amazing little girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment